My article on how to make yourself a Cohen Friendly Green Smoothie is way down the bottom of my page so I thought Id do a little recap because we all need some reminding sometimes. ;)
In my original article I listed down all the allowed proteins, fruits and vegetables that you can choose from to create a Cohen Green Smoothie but looking back I realized that I completely forgot to include a set of guidelines to make the process a little bit easier for everyone since the program is very detailed.
I also realized that Green Smoothies can be used for when you are in the Refeeding phase of the program as well so I’ve decided to list the additional fruits and vegetables that are allowed for when you reach this phase of your program. The last thing I want is for anyone to get set back because I was careless and left out a few important points.
In this recap you will find the following:
I. A new & improved list of proteins, fruits & vegetables from the original article. (Eating Plan List)
II. A list of the new fresh fruits and raw vegetables you can add for when you have reached the Refeeding phase. (Refeeding Plan List)
III. The guidelines to follow when you are making your Cohen Style Green Smoothies. (Golden Rules)
So here you go… :)
Now that I’ve been off the Cohen Lifestyle Program and maintaining, I always find myself slipping back into following my personal eating plan because going back into the real world and eating like a normal person all over again got kind of scary for me. Especially for a person who has been overweight all her life, with the subconscious fear of possibly slipping back into old, unhealthy habits.
Since I slip in & out of my Eating Plan, I decided to incorporate the Green Smoothie into my daily meals. I have a normal meal for lunch but I interchange my yogurt w/ fruit and my Green Smoothies for breakfast or dinner, depending on how I am feeling that day. It very easy to do since both the yoghurt and the smoothies are very quick to prepare and don’t need much thought. You just throw everything in there, raw and fresh, blend, and you’re good.
Mission # 2: Cohen Friendly Green Smoothies
Since the Cohen Lifestyle Program has very specific lists of proteins, vegetables and fruits that you should pick from, I had to narrow it down to the ingredients that can be used while you are following your Personal Eating Plan. I also included other things like herbs, condiments and supplements that you can use to spice up your smoothie exactly the way you like it.
At the end of the day, the possibilities are endless. All you have to do is weigh your portions accurately, allow yourself to be as creative as possible, and never be afraid to try new things to change up the flavors and textures of your smoothies. :)
Feel free to mix and match anything on the list but of course stick to the parameters of the program (one protein at a time, 5 hours in between main meals, and weighing your food accurately)
Here is the list of fresh fruits & raw vegetables you can put into your Cohen Friendly Green Smoothie while you are on Eating Plan:
EATING PLAN LIST
- Plain/Natural Yogurt (less than 2% fat) ***can only be blended w/ fruit never veggies.***
- Any type of plain Tofu (Silken, Medium, Firm)
- Local Soy (Taho)
- Celery / Celery Leaves
- Fresh Asparagus
- Any type of Lettuce (Romaine, Purple, Arugula, etc.)
- Green Bell Pepper / Green Capsicum
- Bok Choy / Pechay
- Kang-kong (Leaves & Stems)
*** You can freee your fresh fruits and use them instead of ice for a colder smoothie and so that it does not get watered down by the ice. ***
- Lemon / Lemon Zest
- Orange / Orange Zest
- Green Kiwi
- Solo Papaya
- Apples (Green or Red)
- Honey Dew Melon (Green)
- Mandarin Orange / Dalandan (Green)
- Mango (Green or Yellow)
- Pomelo / Suha
- Fresh Apricot
- Fresh Peaches
- Grapefruit (White, not Ruby)
- Lemon Grass
- Cilantro / Coriander
- Basil (Any type)
- Mint / Peppermint / Spearmint
- Ginger Powder
- Distilled Water
- Lemon Grass Water
- Pure Herbal Teas (any pure herbal tea w/o fruit flavor)
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN ADD:
- Stevia Natural Sweetener
- C-lium Fibre
- Crushed Ice
RE-FEEDING PLAN LIST
*** For when you can start adding new vegetables. ***
NEW FRUITS (GOOD):
*** For when you can start adding “Good” Fruits.***
- Rock Melon (Orange Cantaloupe)
NEW FRUITS (BAD):
*** For when you can start adding “Bad” Fruits. ***
- Banana (Lacatan or Latundan only)
- Passion Fruit
Now that you have the complete lists, below you will find a list of guidelines or what I would like to call the “Golden Rules” to help you when you start creating your Cohen Style Green Smoothies.
COHEN STYLE GREEN SMOOTHIE GOLDEN RULES:
- Your Green Smoothie should only replace one meal per day. I would suggest replacing your Breakfast or Dinner with it as it is best to consume your Green Smoothie on an empty stomach.
- Protein & Vegetable allowances should be weighed accurately according to your Personal Prescription.
- Your Proteins, Vegetables & Fruits need to be weighed, blended and consumed in their raw and fresh form.
- Only use Proteins, Fruits & Vegetables from the prescribed lists found in your Eating Plan or Refeeding Plan.
- Only water or chilled pure herbal teas may be used as a liquid in your Green Smoothie. The amount of liquid you use is really up to you.
- Limit your sweetener to 1 packet per smoothie. (For Green Smoothies, I would suggest using Stevia Natural Sweetener)
- If you use fresh herbs, weigh them as part of your vegetable allowance.
- If your use dried herbs or spices make sure they are counted as part of your 1tsp allowance per day.
- You may add C-lium Fibre to your Green Smoothie for added texture and fibre.
- Only one serving of fruit may be added to your Green Smoothie.
- If you want to use a mixture of two types of fruit: combine your two fruits of choice (sliced) and divide into two equal servings. Use only one of these servings for your Green Smoothie.
- Only use fresh fruits. No tinned frozen or dried fruits.
- Fresh fruits should be weighed according to the serving sizes specified in your Eating Plan or Refeeding Plan.
*** If there is no serving size specified beside the name of the fruit, it should be fist-size. ***
I hope these revised Food Group Lists and the Golden Rules & Guidelines help you on your journey through the realm of Green Smoothies. It is really quite wonderful and turning into a wonderful habit of mine.
Feel free to read the other articles I wrote below as they will help you as well with all the facts and helpful information they hold.
Good Luck on your journey and if you feel a bit lost along the way, I’m right here. Feel free do drop me a line or a question and I’ll get back to you with an answer as quickly as possible. :)
Love from here… <3
Lak’ech Ala K’in