After all, it IS owned by big corporations, previously GE and now Comcast.
I used to think I was getting a good portion of “Liberal” views, and daily political news from MSNBC. I mean, they claim to be “The Place for Politics”. Then I started watching Amy Goodman’s Democracy Now, and reading online blogs like Think Progress, the OpEd News and many others, as well as reading the UK papers online and that was when I realized that MSNBC is really just an arm of the American Propaganda Machine, called Cable News. If you think MSNBC covers all the news you need to know, then please check out my ever-growing list of items I have not seen covered at all..Please let me know if I’m wrong and you have seen coverage of one of my topics, or if I’ve missed anything on my list of:
Things that (the bastion of liberal politics) MSNBC, has decided we don’t need to know:
1) There’s immense civil unrest in Syria, at least as large as the Egyptian revolution which received massive US media attention a few months back, but Syria is not allowing foreign journalists in, ergo, as far as the U.S. is concerned, the revolution does not exist.
2) The Egyptians are once again gathering for huge rallies, this time against the Military that took over after Mubarak’s fall, but we haven’t seen any of it.
3) Spain is having massive rallies against their regime, but no coverage for us.
4) There are many, many revolutions taking place throughout the region, in the Arab Spring, but we get no coverage about it at all, now.
5) Julian Assange won the prestigious Sydney Peace Award for Transparency in Journalism, however it was not reported.
6) I have especially noticed that Rachel Maddow will not TOUCH the Julian Assange/Whistleblower story AT ALL. What’s up with that?
7) All coverage of the Japanese Nuclear Disaster has been suspended.
8) No coverage of the monitoring of the radiation in the U.S. In fact, the EPA turned the Fresno, CA RADIATION MONITORS OFF on MARCH 16th, however this was never even reported. I guess they figure, if they don’t cover something, it will go away.
9) Bradley Manning is a Civil Rights hero, though many of MSNBC’s guests, from both sides of the aisle, have proclaimed and all AGREED that Manning is a Traitor. On The Dylan Ratigan show recently, one of MSNBC’s most “liberal” talk shows, Jimmy Williams, Senior Denton LLP, “Washington Insider” and Democratic Lobbyist, said the following: “Look, it’s simple. If Manning did what he did, they ought to try him, and they ought to put his ass before a firing squad, and light him up, because it’s treason, he’s a traitor.”] This statement was not objected to or disputed by any of the other three panelists, Karen Finney (Democratic Strategist), Matt Miller (Left-leaning Substitute Host), and Republican Strategist, Susan Del Percio.
10) President Obama, who is a Constitutional Scholar has brushed off questions about Bradley Manning’s treatment saying that it was merited because “Bradley Manning is guilty”, although Manning has never been tried, and Obama’s statement, itself, goes against our cherished rule of “Innocent until proven guilty”.
11) The Patriot Act renewal was barely contested, and many parts of it violate our Civil Rights and are totally illegal. Imagine if our news media made a big deal about this? Imagine if they got the populace all fired up about this? Would The Patriotic Act renewal have been able to pass so quietly?
12) President Obama has prosecuted more whistleblowers in two years than all the Presidents in the preceding last 40 years.
13) The White House censored nearly 200 pages of internal emails about their efforts to make government more transparent.
14) On March 30, 2011 Obama quietly accepted a Transparency in Government Award IN SECRET!! OH, the irony.
15) President Obama has actually cracked down on Marijuana users, and Marijuana dispensaries throughout the country, while publicly saying that the Feds would lay off.
16) President Obama has secretly escalated attacks in Pakistan, Yemen and other countries.
17) White House officials meet with lobbyists across the street from the White House so they don’t have to disclose they’re meeting with lobbyists (actually, I’m not absolutely sure about this one, MSNBC might have made mention of this at some point).
18) MSNBC runs ads all day long by Exxon Mobil for “Natural Gas”, an ad which makes false claims about the ecological benefits of Natural Gas, with no mention of the horrid consequences of fracking. This is a complete betrayal to the Green movement, that MSNBC’s audience supports.
All these things we did NOT need to know…yet MSNBC has decided we DO need to know intimate details about Charlie Sheen, Ashton Kutcher, Lady Gaga, Lindsay Lohan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Royal Wedding, Casey Anthony, a constant stream of non-political, salacious fluff pieces, that I, myself, could care less about, but these non-political news stories are what “The Place for Politics” chooses to report.
I admit, I keep my T.V. tuned to MSNBC most of the day, however, it is often on “mute”…so maybe some items on my list HAVE actually been reported, and I just don’t know it…but I tend to doubt it. However, I welcome any corrections you might have. I also welcome submissions of any other incidences you might know of that demonstrate MSNBC’s gross negligence in omitting coverage of certain “politically sensitive” important stories.
But, what do you think? Do you feel that watching MSNBC will keep you informed of ALL the news that a responsible progressive citizen needs to know?