It is an honour (yes, that’s how we spell it) and a blessing to be citizens of this fine country and we are very grateful for every good thing “Oh Canada” has to offer! To celebrate Canada Day we have compiled a list of fun facts about our beloved nation. Enjoy!
1) The worlds first UFO landing pad was built in 1967 in St. Paul Alberta.
2) Approximately 2 kliometres below Sudbury, Ontario lies the world’s deepest underground lab, SNOLAB.
3) 2.4 Million Caribou (reindeer) live in Canada.
4) Total annual number of car accidents that involve moose: 247
5) 77% of the world’s maple syrup is made in Quebec.
6) Canada produces 1.5% of the world’s food but only consumes 0.6%
7) It is illegal to move alcohol between provinces without permission.
8) Canada has more doughnut shops per capita than anywhere else… “Anyone wanna go to Tim’s?”
9) 9.5 million Canadians speak French (and I’m one of them! -Mia).
10) The first known use of the term “Canuck” referring to a Canadian is dated back to 1835.
11) Canada is the best G20 country in which to be a woman!
12) Canada can lay claim to IMAX, the electric wheelchair and Trivial Pursuit!
13) 80% of all alcohol consumed in Canada is BEER! “Strange Brew”, anyone?!
14) 42% of the Canadian population have a higher education qualification.
15) You can write in any language to North Pole, HOH OHO, Canada and get a letter back from Santa!
16) Loonies & Toonies - yup, we don’t have one or two dollar bills!
17) 850m - The length of the world’s longest beaver dam found in Northern Alberta.
18) 15,500 of the world’s 25,000 polar bears live in Canada.
19) In Saskatchewan a hoodie is called a “bunnyhug”.
Last but certainly not least (in fact, it’s our favourite fact),
20) 35-50% of all music broadcast on Canadian radio must be Canadian.
HAPPY CANADA DAY!
Facts compiled from canada.com