Okay guys! We’ve got a theme for the second ficathon - AUs! Alternate Universe. These are fics that take our beloved characters and drop them into a whole other reality!
1. Fics must be River/Doctor. Obviously. Other pairings and characters may be present but the focus should be on River/Doctor.
2. Fics must be AU. Fluff, smut, crack, whatever you want, but it must be in an alternate universe. Examples listed below.
3. Fics must be at least 1000 words. To make it fair for everyone.
4. Fics may NOT include Magical Healing Penis (TM). This is a personal thing. Sorry not sorry. (MHP includes any trauma given to any character which is then perfectly resolved/fixed by hot sex. No.)
But Kaz! What constitutes an AU?! I WILL TELL YOU.
AU should be an entirely different universe. Drop them into a different setting, a different story line, a different time period, different jobs, etc. while keeping them in character and their relationship the same. So, a list of popular tropes:
- Human AU
- High School/College
- Coffee Shop
- River is a fashion designer in NYC and the Doctor is a fashion photographer
- River is an Egyptian Queen and the Doctor is her bodyguard (idk)
- River is a college student and the Doctor is her history professor
- River and the Doctor are a married human couple on a cruise that gets hit by pirates
- River and the Doctor are pirates
- River and the Doctor are space pirates a la Firefly
- The Doctor is Hugh Heffner and River is a Playboy Bunny. (IDEK OKAY)
So you see, AUs can be anything!
For the purposes of this ficathon, AUs are NOT: taking an event in canon and changing it/keeping them in the same ‘verse as Doctor Who. For example, an AU would not be “what if TATM didn’t happen” or “what if River were Clara’s mother” etc etc. We can do another ficathon for what ifs later. They are also not crossovers, though if you want to, say, steal the plot from Space Balls or Moulin Rouge and drop River/Doctor into it, BY ALL MEANS. Because lbr, who doesn’t want to imagine Alex Kingston in a négligée inside a magical love elephant?
- Name/Tumblr url: if you want to write anon that’s fine, just let me know
- Email address:
- What you like to write:
- What you really don’t like to write:
- Rating preferences for writing:
- What you like to read:
- What you really don’t like to read:
- Rating preferences for reading:
- THREE PROMPTS:
- Anything else?
- Can you pinch hit?: write a fic if someone drops out at the last minute.
Email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or inbox/fm me. PLEASE PLEASE include an email you can be reached at, though. Trying to keep in touch with people through tumblr is difficult, especially with changing usernames. I’ll reply saying I’ve received your sign-up, so if you don’t get a response in a few days, resubmit, since tumblr can be wonky.
If you want an example of a sign up form, click read more.
SIGN UPS open until Sept 6th 11:59pm PST!
Read More →