Regarding people claming that Naruto’s feelings about Sakura is childish crush and that he let her go, I wanted to share some french official traduction. The english traduction is sometimes ambiguous so I’m gonna compare english traduction with french one (and don’t say it’s not a good version because it’s actually from the volumes I bought).
No mention of SS or NH here just pro NS. I’m using mostly pages from chap 457-549
Since you may not be french, I will translate for you. When people say that he doesn’t have romantic feelings for Sakura or that Sai didn’t misunterstood Naruto and that he’s letting go of her, I’ll just tell you one word. WRONG.
- "You like Sakura, don’t you ?" (english version) -> "Wouldn’t you be in love with Sakura, by any chance ?". (french version)
While Sai is telling "you like" in the english version, leaving a doubt about the nature of his feeling it is clearly said in the french version "in love" leaving no doubt it is romantic feelings.
- "I read it in a book… people always smile around the people they like. And you’re always smiling at her. Did you tell her about what you feel ?" (english version) -> "I read that in a book, we smile stupidly at the one person we love. And it’s always the case when you look at Sakura. Did you declare your love ?" (french version).
Again, in the english version, the word "like" is used and in the french one, it is "love". And the french traduction adds that his smile to Sakura is the one of an idiot in love with someone.
- "…How can I ? I can’t even keep my promises" (english version) -> "Like I could do it… Me, the man who can’t keep his promises" (french version)
It has the same significance however, the french one has more impact. It’s not that he doesn’t want to confess but he can’t because he feels unworthy, given by the fact that he didn’t fullfill his lifetime promise yet. He clearly states it is the only reason why he didn’t confess yet.
It is also a proof that he didn’t move on. He’s still in love with her. Except Obito, he is the only one in the manga who didn’t confess to the person concerned. It is obvious to have Naruto (aka the main protagonist of the manga who never gives up) confess sooner or later. Although Sakura might won’t reciprocate his feeling, we still need a closure.
This scene heavily implies that we’ll have this confession once he’ll fullfill his promise of a lifetime.
- "Even I can tell that he really loves you" (english version) -> "Even to me, it is plain to see… that Naruto loves you with all his strength" (french version)
This page is so shattering… It shows how Sai makes her realise the weight of his feelings. Yes, this promise was for himself: he wanted to save Sasuke, one of his first bonds he ever had. But it was also his way to express his love to her.
And through her realisation, we saw the pieces we saw but she didn’t. She realised his fake and pained smile was because of his unrequited love and not because Sasuke left. He’s willing to sacrifice his own hapiness just to see her happy with a pained smile on his face he already saw.
It is proven when she said "I’m the one who’s caused him the most pain… I’ve done nothing but make mistakes. I don’t want to make another one."
- "…the fool’s in love with me…so let me do it." (english version) -> "he’s stupid enough to fall in love with a girl like me. It is I who must persuade him." (french version)
The french version really captured the essence of Naruto and Sakura feelings to each other. Naruto feels unworthy toward Sakura because he didn’t fullfill his promise of a lifetime. Sakura feels unworthy toward Naruto because she hurt his feelings and was clueless about the weight of this promise. That’s why he wants to realise this promise so hard. That’s why she made her “confession” and she decided she must be the one to kill Sasuke even if it means he might hate hate after.
In conclusion, Naruto’s feelings for Sakura is clear: he’s in love with her. He will confess once his promise realised. Sakura’s exact feelings for him are still unknown, constituing one of the main question of the manga to be answered. Their relationship is one the most pure and selfless (romantic or not, it is debatle for Sakura’s intention).
Ship it or not, but at least appreciate the beauty of the altruism of their actions for each other.