Hi, thanks for your suggestion. At the moment I don’t have much time to write any more really big masterposts but my best tips for bonding with your pets are the following:
- Respect them / respect their privacy. If they sleep, don’t wake them up. If they are eating, let them alone and don’t interrupt.
- Don’t try to catch them/don’t take them on your hand if they don’t want to (except it is necessary for example when going to the vet etc). If they panic and run away or bite you leave them alone for a few days and only give them food/water/clean bedding. After that you can try again.
- Be patient!
- If you adopted a new hamster, always! leave them alone for a week or so, don’t try to touch them or anything just talk to them in a quiet voice so they get used to you, the new cage etc.
- After this try giving them good food until they come on our hand without fear.
- Remember that pets are not here to play with you and some simply have no interest in forming a “friendship” with their human which is totally fine and should be respected.
- Instead of playing with them you can watch them, give them a wonderful enviroment to live in and talk to them/pet them if they want to. :)
- Don’t be upset if your hamster is never tame because some will always be shy but that’s okay.
Have a nice day :-)