I agree wholeheartedly. Liberal feminism works on ‘choice’, regardless of whether it is at the expense of other women. Pornography is an example, because the conditions of the industry are not as important to them as the apparent ‘empowerment’ they receive from it. Considering the porn industry is made up of poverty-stricken women (many are women of color due to systematic oppression), it is VERY white-centric.
Like you said, these ‘choices’ that are so prioritized in liberal feminism are never analyzed in the economical, political, cultural climate of the society made, or the systems of oppression present. They care more about biological males being able to intrude in our oppressive reality than they do about women of color all over the world working for shit all money and getting raped in some of their ~sex-possie~ industries like prostitution. As long as THEY recieve ‘empowerment’, though right?
Liberal feminism also supports capitalism which is always going to be white-centric, considering white people are the ones that benefit from capitalism. Take for example the 90s ‘business woman’ icon of liberal feminism. Because their buzzword of the last 20 years has been ‘equality’, they have also aimed to be a heavyweight in the capitalist arena. Looking at it from a white-centric decontextualized angle, I see how they think this may display white, able-bodied women as more dominant and powerful - but it’s commonsense to see that women experiencing double+ oppression (in this case, women of color) interests and experiences are not being served. Take Gina Rinehart for example, Australian Mining Tycoon. From a liberal feminist perspective, she’s a strong, powerful woman who controls her own income. However, from a radical feminist perspective, capitalism and patriarchy are best buddies, and various other systems of oppression has led Rinehart to take advantage of poverty stricken people of color by making them work for bread crumbs in dire working conditions.
In summary (after this rant)!
- Choices at the expense of other women are not feminist and is white-centric under various situations.
- Individual empowerment being valued over female liberation completely ignores and silences women of color all over the world.
- Decontextualizing situations and choices from their economical, political cultural climate and ignoring the systems of oppression present is inherently silencing other forms of oppression (including racism AKA white-centric).
- The very notion of sex positivity is white centric, because it ignores sex trafficking, limited sexual freedom in various countries and is a very one dimensional idea that completely detracts from how your personal ‘sexual choice’ can still negatively impact underprivileged women.
- Ignoring the damage capitalism does in feminist analysis is white-centric in itself. Striving to be ‘equal’ to the white man in something like business has lead women to capitalize on fellow women of varying levels of oppression. That is not feminist. That is white-centric, considering the other barriers women of color have in those arenas.