Can we just take a sec to talk about this book here
Even ignoring the fact it’s by TERRY PRATCHETT who is an amazing human being, it’s pretty much the best thing ever.
- Strong female characters turning the damsel in distress trope on its head? check
- Addresses issues of gender roles/transgender/sexuality (but without making a big deal about it)? check
- Addresses the consequences of war and propaganda? check
- extremely funny but also deep? check
- MAINSTREAM FANTASY SERIES? check
I want more people to know about this book. It’s ten years old now and I think it is largely unheard of. Well, I think everyone should read it. Especially people who say they want to see more of things like this. Tumblr seems to have a community that is mostly supportive of feminism, GLBTQ, etc. Well go buy this book (and if you don’t want to give Amazon your money there are used copies but as we know, buying power is one way regular people can express approval or disapproval).
Side note: Yes this is considered part of the Discworld series, but it stands on its own; you don’t have to read any other Discworld books to enjoy this one (though the rest of the Discworld series is worth reading as well!) - this was actually the first Pratchett book I ever read, I picked it up at an airport because I needed something to get me through a five hour flight. I really don’t understand why Terry Pratchett is so little-known in the U.S. though.