When it comes to running an online business, it is important that you have visibility into the performance of your site, particularly how your customers interact with your site. Luckily, there is a free tool out there called Google Analytics that will help you do this. Below is the purpose of Google Analytics, as well as some of the key features and capabilities.
Purpose of Google Analytics:
- Understand Your Audience
- Sell and Convert
- Make Business Decisions
Understanding Your Audience:
Know Your Audience
- Audience Data and Reporting - This feature allows you to dissect your audience: the kinds of people they are, where they come from, how they find your content, and how loyal and engaged they are.
- Advanced Segments - This feature allows you to isolate and analyze subsets of your traffic, like organic traffic or visits that led to transactions.
- Filters - This feature allows you to limit and modify the traffic data that appears in any given report view (Ex: You can exclude traffic from certain domains).
Trace the Customer Path
- Traffic Sources - This feature allows you to evaluate the effectiveness of your referring sites, direct traffic, social media platforms, organic (unpaid) search keywords, and custom campaigns.
- Map Overlay - This feature allows you to see your visitor stats broken down by continent, country and city, which will help you understand the real origins of your traffic and find the best places to invest for new opportunities.
See What Your Audience Is Doing
- Behavior Reporting - This feature allows you to see new vs. returning visitors, how frequent visitors come to your site, how long visitors are staying on your site, etc.
- Flow Visualization - This feature lets you see and analyze the path a visitor takes on your site. See where they came from, the pages they moved through, and where
they exited your site.
- In-Page Analytics - This feature allows to see how users really interact with your pages (Ex: see where are users clicking the most on your homepage).
Sell and Convert
Reach Your Performance Goals
- Ecommerce Reporting - This feature allows you too see the performance of your products. Trace transactions right down to specific keywords, understand shopper behaviors, and adjust your shopping
cart to build loyalty and improve sales.
- Goals - This feature allows you to measure your sales, downloads, email signups, conversions, or define your own business goals.
Reach Peak Capacity
- Real-Time Reporting - This feature allows you to see how many people are on your site right now, where they came from, and what they’re viewing.
- Alerts and Intelligence Reports - This feature will call attention to any abnormal behavior happening on your site (Ex: A huge spike in traffic coming from a particular city or traffic source).
- Site Search - When visitors can’t find what they want on your site, they search. This feature allows you to see what your visitors are really
looking for, spot missed opportunities, and speed up time to conversion.
- Site-Speed Analysis - This feature shows you load times across your site, so you can fix slow pages and make your visitors happier.
Make Business Decisions
on the information in Google Analytics, you will be able to make educated
decisions regarding the following:
- Product success and determination
to better target and sell to your customers
and advertising strategies