We are on completely different pages, apparently. Because I thought 10x03 completely supported Destiel.
I’ve touched on this here and here, among other places.
To give you a brief summary:
- Sam’s “I’m gonna go get Dean some cholesterol,” absence was straight out of the laziest Destiel fanfic in the universe.
- As was the “Let’s talk about relationship boundaries” moment with Hannah. Cas knows when people are getting too physically intimate, which totally changes the interpretation of ninety percent of Destiel scenes.
- Dean takes the fanfictiony explanation of having a female in the car (WHY WOULD CAS SAY THAT IT’S SO UNLIKE HIM) as the misdirection it was intended to be, plot-wise. Look at his upset little face and tell me it wasn’t a straight-out-of-fanfic misunderstanding of what’s actually going on, complete with bad communication skills and Sam not being there to ask Sam-like clarifying questions.
- CAS LAID IN BED THINKING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE MISSED DEAN.
- SAM SAID, “I KNOW,” INSTEAD OF, “ME TOO,” BECAUSE HIS MISSING DEAN WAS SO DIFFERENT THAN CAS MISSING DEAN.
I can’t remember who came up with this meta initially (I blame Miller Lite), but Dean’s bed is a metaphor. The pillow was in the center of the bed, the cross hanging over it, for a good portion of season nine. But when Dean was laying in bed listening to “Lonely is the Night,” the focus was on the empty space.
I’m only saying this for the people who aren’t familiar with the “Dean’s bed is a metaphor” theory, so let me sum up. The soft white light (always associated with Castiel) washes over the left side of Dean’s bed. He’s added another nightstand, he’s made a space for someone else to fill, the cross over that side of the bed is tipped over and fallen, it’s part of his journey to find someone who fills that space.
That empty space is a visual metaphor for the fact that Dean really wants to find someone to fill that space, and all visual indicators point to Castiel.
So when Cas comes in to have their fanfic-trope-heavy conversation, what happens when Cas mentions the girl in his car? (without saying “Hannah” even though Dean’s met Hannah, because FANFIC TROPES)
Dean leaves the no-personal-space bubble of eyesex to start sorting through and rearranging all the shit on the left side of the bed. It’s a very strong visual metaphor for Dean’s need to rearrange and sort through all the shit that emotionally keeps him from having a space for someone else to fill. For having the ability to say, “Oh god, I have to clean up my emotional messes so that someone can sit here and answer the season nine opener question of ‘Who Do You Love?’”
He got all fucking upset about Castiel’s “female” and tried to rearrange a visual metaphor of his life to keep Castiel with him. Complete with the same, “I’m glad you’re here,” in the same tone of voice he used in season nine, the “please Cas just stay here, I don’t ask for much,” voice that broke all of our hearts in the bar scene.
And it was directed by Jensen Ackles, which I will never get over. Jensen knows about the subtext, and he played into it as a director AND as an actor.
If you aren’t seeing how they’re gonna go Destiel, you aren’t paying attention.