Bastille - Torn Apart (Bastille VS. Grades)
In all honesty, I find this video even more meaningful than the previous ones they had already released for the Bad Blood album.
I mean, yes, it does goes against what decent is in society’s standards.
I don’t want to dub this as an artist thing because I’m not a fan of labels, but come on guys…
I think it’s pretty neat. You can actually interpret it quite literally.
Love is love, and so they say.
Who ever came up with this video, be it the Bastille members, producers, directors, I don’t know who else — all I can think of is that they chose the explicit way of conveying a message, because which else is the better way to make people listen to something you have to say than getting their full attention?
It can be taken in different forms:
1. It’s plain weird and has disgustingly gotten way out of hand
2. People have many faces that you will only get to see once you choose to stay with them, and which you probably will never see if you left them
3. Love is diverse
4. Love is diverse as fuCK, I mean seriously diverse
5. Everyone can love. Three-dicked aliens and vagina-stomached aliens can love, both romantically and sexually
6. gET over it
7. People are weird, love is weird, you get to see things that sometimes you wish you could unsee when you venture in the world of love
8. Everybody argues and throws different things no matter which couple you are
9. Your partner will scare and confuse the soul out of your body at some point, I guarantee it
10. People change in the course of the relationship, and time itself
11. Sometimes people (or aliens, or whatever creature that can love) are face with things they want, and then sometimes things that they do not even remotely dislike
12. Et cetera
13. Love is love, and sometimes it leads to music and videos like Torn Apart
And then there’s the lyrics:
I could only be myself, with you around
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so we all are their judges.
The thing is, BASTILLE is a band that makes music first and foremost, and that’s where I want to put my attention initially. It kind of hurts that some people are dissing them for going astray from their rock alternative genre, for having a gross music video, for blaming a sole band member for the video, and so on, and so on… Guys. We are all entitled to our own opinions. This is mine, for example. And in my opinion, it’s kind of sad that some people choose to lash out in the blaming and the dissing towards the band that you once claimed to love.
This is an experimental mixtape, and I interpret it as an eye-opener in someways.
A lot of music videos barely make sense and are outrageously weird.
It would be nice if we just sticked to loving them for what they do, and if you don’t find it endearing, maybe just wait for their next official album tracks or something.