Disney Animation Studios currently looking for 2015 Talent Development Artist - Story Artist :
Link to apply: hereBurbank, California
Walt Disney Animation Studios first developed the craft of storyboarding in the 1920s as a tool to explore ideas and bring them to visual life. Over 90 years later, we continue to perfect the art of story today through expressive drawing, dynamic staging, and entertaining ideas. Our Talent Development Program has created a new track focused on the art of story for emerging artists with up to 5 years experience. Artists will enter the program at a Trainee, Apprentice, or Assistant level based on their experience.
Under the guidance of a Disney Mentor, the Talent Development program offers a unique opportunity to hone and understand skills, refine and strengthen key expectations, and experience our real-time production environment in an immersive experience for a 3, 6, or 12 month paid position based in Burbank, California.
Trainee, Apprentice, or Assistant Story Artist
Our Story Artists translate story ideas into visual sequences. By working with other members of the production team, they develop the cinematography and staging of the film; choosing initial camera placement and angles; defining action and camera movement in the most entertaining way. They must convey the essence of storyline, scene structure, character emotion, and create action and humor in alignment with the overall direction of the film. They solve story and structure problems and work collaboratively in the story room.
The 3, 6, or 12 month program is designed to share the specific skills and philosophies of the Walt Disney Animation Story Department through ongoing mentorship and insight.
As a Trainee, Apprentice, or Assistant Story Artist, the first three months are structured to introduce you to the art of our story process, from our studio culture to our production environment. Whether fresh out of school or with a few years under your belt, these initial months will showcase the complexity of this fine art form while providing you the nurturing support to adapt to our style of visual filmmaking.
A three month and six month review determines future assignments to production. Under the mentorship and leadership of the story team, Talent Development Artists will participate in a real time production experience.
To apply for this position you must upload a resume and portfolio to your online profile at careers.disneyanimation.com/login
Portfolios should demonstrate:
· Strong gestural draftsmanship, the ability to draw very loosely and roughly yet with clarity in character appeal and acting
· Strong understanding of cinematography and narrative staging with visually clear shot flow applied throughout work
· Versatile range of character-driven story sequences preferred. Showcase through a variety of genres and conveyed emotion including: comedy, action, romance, suspense, drama, musical, etc.
· Sequences do not need to be a full film in length but should have a clear beginning, middle, and end
· Strong understanding of acting and entertainment value
· Life/Observational Drawings required
· Sketchbook samples, animal zoo drawings required
· Character moments helpful
· Caricatures helpful
· Uploaded multipage PDF portfolios or digital animatics
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.