I was recently in the municipal building getting a permit for an HVAC job and ran across this great Free info the City of Alabaster has produced. It’s a great eassy and informative read.
City of Alabaster, Department of Building Safety – HOMEOWNER’S GUIDE
DO IT SMART, DO IT SAFELY
If you are considering a “Do-It-Yourself” home remodeling project, it is important to contact your local Department of Building Safety at (205) 664-6823 to find our if permits are needed and learn about zoning and building requirements. Before proceeding with your project, be certain your home updates are possible and legal.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE YOU BEGIN A PROJECT:
- A BUILDING PERMIT ENSURES that a certified inspector will examine the project to determine if the work is done safely and code complaint. For do-it-yourselfers who don’t do installations or construction work daily, this is particularly valuable as it will give you the opportunity to ask questions of an expert in the field. Incorrect building or remodeling can cause house fires, flood damage and structural problems.
- BUILDING PERMITS ARE TYPICALLY REQUIRED for structural remodeling, work involving electrical wiring, mechanical and plumbing fixtures or devices, altering the roof line, or moving walls and especially load bearing walls. You may not need a permit for installing new floor coverings, painting or making minor repairs. If a permit is required, don’t proceed without one. You could be putting your home and family in jeopardy and setting the precedent for costly repairs down the line.
- BE REALISTIC ABOUT YORU SKILL LEVEL – Never take on a project that you will never be able to accomplish.
- IF YOU ARE DOING THE WORK YOURSELF, call your local Department of Building Safety at (205) 664-6823. Getting a permit is often simple on homeowner projects with very little review time.
- IF WORKING WITH A LICENSED CONTRACTOR, be sure to use their expertise and relationship with the City of Alabaster Building Safety Department.
- CHECK A CONTRACTOR’S “STATE OF ALABAMA” LICENSE to ensure that the contractor is legally licensed and bonded to work in the City of Alabaster & State of Alabama. Beware of a contractor willing to work without permits.
- USE OR INSIST THAT THE contractor uses only licensed builders, electiricans, plumbers/gasfitters and mechanical sub-contractors. Along with homeowners working on their own homes, only licensed plumbers / gasfitters, electiricans and mechanical contractors are legally allowed to perform work in the State of Alabama & City of Alabaster.
- ADMINISTRATIVE BUILDING located at 1953 Municipal Way has qualified personnel and resources to help you through the permitting and inspection process.
- ALWAYS REQUEST COPIES OF PERMITS and inspections for your records. All permits issued by the City of Alabaster Department of Building Safety have time limits on the construction process, and a “Certificate of Occupancy or Completion” which will be issued once final inspections are approved.
1953 Municipal Way, Alabaster, Alabama 35007
Phone (205) 664-6823
The post Alabaster Building Safety appeared first on Freedom HVAC AL.
from Alabaster Building Safety