PROJECT #1: Find your old letters. Gather up all of the letters that one of your oldest friends has sent to you over the years. Photocopy the letters. Put the photocopies in an envelope, and then mail off the envelope to your friend.
I had to improvise here, since I didn’t really have any letters. What I did have, though, is Facebook conversations. I first got Facebook in mid-2007, but there were no real conversations on it between my best friend, Geneva, and I until August 2009. We’ve been friends since 1997, but I went off to university in 2008. In August 2009, she was preparing to do the same. That meant that when I went back to our hometown to visit my parents, she wouldn’t be there.
So we had a sappy talk about missing each other and what it would be like to be COMPLETELY apart for the first time ever. It’s actually a really boring conversation though, so I don’t want to bore you all with it. I wrote little notes in the margins to make fun of our 18/19 year old selves though, so I’ll point those out.
- I used to send sappy best friend quotes to her constantly because I’m a nerd.
- I used the word “chillaxing”.
- Geneva called me “Miss Lulu” because when we were 14 or 15, we were lame and called each other Lulu and Lala and I guess it stuck.
- I said “hehehe” like a creep.
- Geneva used to use the word “jenk” to describe something that sucks and “dwank” as an insult.
- I listed my classes, but since I skipped so much in university, I don’t recall being enrolled in most of them. Learn from my mistakes, as they kicked me out.
- Instead of describing things as “epic”, I would call things “apocalyptic” because I thought it was cooler.
Moral of the story: I’m glad I’m turning 23 this year and I’m not recently-19 anymore. I was incredibly lame.
PS: Josh’s own letter will be posted later tonight but in the meantime, find an old letter of your own and share it! I have a bonus letter which is quite hilarious and embarrassing that I’ll share if we get a submission of any sort (letter, Facebook conversation, IMs, etc.)