We started day 2 with tracking bass! Josh had an awesome Fender Jazz bass with fresh strings, sounded awesome. One of my favorite bass tones ever is on the Defeater EP “Lost Ground” it’s so heavy, fat, and distorted. I was really surprised to find out the amp they used was a 5150. Every time I do a heavy band, I always do the 5150 through my Ampeg 8x10, and then blend that with the DI. The signal chain was pretty simple, Fender Jazz bass, into a Sansamp pedal, to the 5150 plugged into the Ampeg 8x10. The cab had a Sennheiser 421 and an Audio Technica 4047, both of those went into the Tube Tech MP 1A. From there both signals went into Distressors with low ratio 3:1 and slow attack, then into the Electra EQs.
After bass was complete we moved on to vocals. The chain was a Soundelux u95s into a Seventh Circle N72. I did a lot of subtle processing, first thing was the Electra EQ to filter off some low end, then into the Distressors in series. From there the signal went into the other Electra for some top end boost then to the Claraphonic. Finally the singal hit the Neve Tape Emulator.
It was awesome working with these guys. I’m excited to start mixing their record next week.