I’ve watched a lot of good movies in 2014 so I wanted to list off the movies I loved to the interwebs. I haven’t watched a lot of movies so if a movie you really loved isn’t on my list, I likely didn’t watch it. I know I didn’t get to see several movies I wanted to see. Before I start the List i’ll give a quick shout out to Maleficent for not making the list, I still thought the movie was better then a lot of people thought it was just wasn’t in the top 10. Also I didn’t hate Amazing Spider-man 2, I liked the romance and comedy in the movie but as finished product it was meh.
10. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes : Ape’s strong together, Ape No Kill ape, you are not ape, done. This movies really good, I didn’t really fall in love with it like the rest of the movies on this list but it made me really excited for the next movie, had some great characters and honestly surprised me with how much I enjoyed.
9. Lego Movie: Everything about this movie was awesome and it proves that the writers of this movie can write anything then make it gold. The writing on this film and the animation were great really giving the feel of legos. I know it’s kind of low on this list but almost all these movies will float around in my head as overall masterpieces. I’d say 9-7 on this list are pretty interchangeable and it’s really just my mood as writing this, by the time this is posted I might think “actually lego movie is number 5.” This movie was so much fun and I love being surprised that something wasn’t going to be crappy.
8. 22 jump street: This movie was super funny for every minute of it’s run time. This movie didn’t stick with me like the movies above it but I love comedy and this movie did it so well. The chemistry of the leads is fantastic and everyone up the villain really had stand out funny moments.
7. Big Hero 6: She blinded me with science. This movie really made science look cool, it did a fantastic job of establishing a cool team of heroes, and had a nice art direction going for it. Even though it was totally predictable the death of a character was so hard for me to see. I loved the whole cast really only leaving one major flaw in the film. I think the villain was a bit weak sauce but other then that I really enjoyed this movie.
6. X-men Days of Future Past: This movie had a brilliant pace, fantastic performances, great action, and maybe my favorite scene in a super hero movie with the quick silver scene. This is my favorite of the x-men movies and the first movie to get me to really stop and think “Ehh i’d rather marvel didn’t own X-men so we can get more of these more often.”
5. Book of Life: It’s very sad that this movie just couldn’t bring in the big bucks because I loved it. I was going to write a review of the movie and still have the draft sitting around. I just can’t put it into enough words where I feel like it would effectively sell someone on the film and now it’s out of theaters. Maybe I’ll finish it for the DVD release of the movie but this movie is just great. It has a really wonderful art direction every character feeling like they jumped from their concept art to the screen. The music was fantastic when I expected getting a lationed up version of pop songs might be a bit lame. I do have a few grips with the movie like the lead female playing a lot more lip service to being independent then actually being independent. Still I think as an over all film goes it was great.
4. Chief: I use to do a bit of acting, this movie reminded me of why I love the art form. It’s story telling was fantastic, the movie has a fantastic pace, told a very human story, it didn’t need massive tragedy to trick us into feeling bad. It gave us real characters that all felt like real people as you get these personal journeys. This film is something I will always remember watching with my family and feeling so inspired by. Even though it’s not number one of the list if I had to recommend any movie on the list to watch i’d say this is it. This movie is light hearted, funny, and charming check it out. The movies coming to netflix at the end of next month so if you have netflix end of January keep an eye out for this.
3. Captain America the Winter Solider: I, like a lot of people, thought the first Captain America movie was the least good of the marvel movies. So I came into this movie thinking “It’s marvel, it will be good but I’m not going to get my hopes up” then blame it kicked 300 levels of ass. This movie was packed with surprises, the winter solider made a great villain, Black Widow got to really show her chops and this movie has to be my favorite “spy” movie ever. I love this movie and nothing can shield me from basking in it’s warm light.
2. How to Train Your Dragon 2: This movie might have been the most epic in scale animated movie I have ever seen (at least american animated movie). This movie has so much heart, fantastic characters, heart breaking moments, inspiring moments, kick ass battles, and it just has the soul of a passion project. I give Dreamworks a lot of shit but this movie was one of the best animated movies i’ve ever seen. It’s a shame it didn’t make an ass load of money but I mean the studio made it fight for every penny with it’s release date.
1. Guardians of the Galaxy: This movie was just the first volume of the awesome mix of comedy, marvel, space, and action I’ve been hooked on a feeling since watching this that it may very well be one of my favorite movies of all time. I mean this movie truly goes all the way becoming a blend so perfect that this movie rivals the avengers to me. I look to Stan Lee’s spirt in the sky and ask him to rain down even more of this movie to me because every time I watched it was pure bliss. It was like i was in a moonage daydream and I fooled around and feel in love with this movie. I mean I like to put on my hipster glasses and not like a popular movie, tell it i’m not in love but if I did I’d just be crying singing I want you back. Seriously this movie smacked me in the face screamed come and get your love then dropped a cherry bomb on me. No matter how I try I can’t escape because O-O-H child aint no mountain high enough for me to sing this movie praises. Long live Guardians of the Galaxy and my highest praises to everyone involved.