So full confession: I have always been obsessed with mashed potatoes. No, but really. I have many memories of going to my dad’s office when I was little and he would pick me up a container of mashed potatoes from this place I loved and I would sit at his desk and eat it. Weird I know.
My older brother also says that when we had dinner at home and there was mashed potatoes, I had a tendency to grab some with my hands…and then shove it down my pants. Gross!!!
The point of these stories is that my love for mashed potatoes runs deep. The struggle is real.
Now that I’ve adopted a healthy lifestyle, I try not to eat mashed potatoes as often (but I totally still have it..and I love sweet potatoes too!). When someone told me you can make Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes and that it was actually delicious….I thought: EW……I figured there was NO way that it could even remotely compare. But then, I went home and made it. Why the hell not? I’m trying to live a healthier lifestyle after all.
And holy shit, it’s actually delicious!!! I now make it ALL the freaking time!!! It’s a great healthy substitute, and MUCH lower in carbs.
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled (I just used my minced garlic)
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Snipped fresh chives for garnish (I used scallions)
- I’m a cheater and I used frozen cauliflower that you can microwave. If you want to save time, you can do that too!
- Place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor. Add almond milk, 2 teaspoons oil, butter, salt and pepper; pulse several times, then process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and garnish with chives, if desired. Serve hot.
So so good!!! I’m always looking for swaps like that. I really could eat this all the time. And by cheating and using frozen cauliflower, I have more time (I KNOW I should be using fresh cauliflower). I made the cauliflower mashed potatoes after a workout so I wanted to cut corners so I didn’t eat dinner too late.
Try this guys!