Today we had the pleasure of interviewing Alaska Thunderfuck, Rupaul’s Drag Race Season 5 runner-up and also one of the most amazing queens to be on RPDR in history.
1) If you could change anything about the world of drag, what would it be?
Alaska: I wish that people were kinder and gentler to one another.
2) What are the worst and best parts about doing drag?
Alaska: The best part is the 7-10 minutes I get to be onstage. The worst part is taking it off which somehow seems to take longer than putting it on.
3) What is the weirdest thing a fan has ever done to you?
Alaska: I’ve had fans get my face or my signature or HIEEE tattooed on their body, which is kind of weird. But weird is a good thing in my vocabulary.
4) Where is your favorite place to perform?
Alaska: I like places that have a curtain that opens.
5) I’m sure the pittsburgh drag scene is very different than the drag scene in the larger cities.Do you ever miss it?
Alaska: We had many magical, wonderful times in Pittsburgh. We were a family, and it was a very special moment in time where so many forces and circumstances aligned and I don’t think it could ever be recaptured or replicated. I will always treasure the times I’ve had in Pittsburgh and my many lovely friends who are there.
6) What are you going to be for Halloween?
Alaska: Ace Ventura.
7) What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment?
Alaska: I watched Sex & the City from start to finish in like a week.
8) What difficulties did you encounter on your way to drag stardom?
Alaska: Whenever you’re on the path to living your truth, you will be faced with every difficulty imaginable. You will be forced to stare down your worst fears and your biggest insecurities time and time again. Plus there was that unfortunate time period when I wasn’t wearing nails…
9) Do you have any quotes or mantras that you live your life by?
10) Do you have any advice for the LGBT youth with bullying?
Alaska: Don’t kill yourself. Be strong, and get through it. In a few years, you’ll have a really interesting life, and the people bullying you will be miserable and old.
11) Do you have any upcoming projects you can share with us?
Alaska: The music video for my next hit single NAILS will be coming out in the next few months. On the video I got to work with Ben and Katelyn Simkins and the Denver-based Geek Mythology Productions— they are very talented and passionate about their work. I’m excited for the video and the song to be released.
12) Are there any misapprehensions about you that you wish you could erase?
Alaska: No, they’re mostly true.
13) What are the best and worst decisions you’ve made so far?
Alaska: It’s important not to beat yourself up over bad decisions, but also not to congratulate yourself too much for your successes. But I’m glad I made the decision to work hard, and to be kind and respectful whenever I can.
14) Are there any crimes you would commit knowing you could get away with it?
Alaska: I wish that certain venues would let people in who are under the age of 21 or the age of 18. I’ve met fans a few times outside of clubs who weren’t allowed in because they were too young. Just let them in!
15) What were your favorite moments and challenges of rupaul’s drag race season 5?
Alaska: I like the challenges where I won, like the perfume ad and the Sugar Ball. And making a speech inspired by Gloria Allred. But really the whole experience was amazing and life-altering. So I’m really grateful for the whole thing.
Thank you to Alaska for the interview! You can find her on instagram at @theonlyalaska5000 and on twitter at @alaska5000 !
Stay tuned for new interviews!