Can I get the lowdown on your super rad post forms?
Of course! We happen to have the lowdown right here:
- Click the arrow next to your blog name to choose which blog to post to.
- Click the gear icon at the top right corner of the post form to add the content source, set a custom post URL, alter the post date, or let people photo reply.
- Use the toolbar in Text posts and Photo post captions to tweak formatting, add hyperlinks, add images, or insert custom code.
- Tip: Insert photos from a URL by pressing the Alt/Option key and clicking the camera icon.
- Use the arrow on the Post button to add to your queue, publish on a specific date, save drafts, post privately, or preview the post on your blog.
- Tip: Posts you make private will not show up on your followers’ dashboards and thus cannot be liked or reblogged. If you want to share a private post with someone or view the post in your blog theme, click the share button on the post in your Dashboard to get the link.
- Toggle tweeting and Facebook sharing on and off by clicking each of the icons before posting (blue = on, gray = off)
How do I post a photo?
You’ve got several options. (Those selfies aren’t going to post themselves!)
- Click the camera icon to upload a photo from your computer.
- Drag files directly into the post form.
- Click “URL” at the bottom of the post form to post a photo from a specific URL.
Tip: To add click-through links, hover over the photo and click the link icon that appears in the top right corner.
How do I post a photoset?
It’s embarrassingly easy!
- Drag more than one file into the post form.
- Select more than one file when you’re uploading a photo.
- Click “Upload another photo” below a photo you’ve just uploaded.
You can choose up to 10 images. Then just drag them around to create the layout you want.
How do I post audio?
Easiest way is to just start typing an artist or song name.
If it’s on Spotify or Soundcloud, we’ll find it and post it for you.
You can also post your own MP3s—one per day, 10MB max—and update the artist, title, and album info once the file has been processed.
M4A, M4P, and WMA files don’t get along with our uploader, and we don’t accept URLs that point to a web page or Flash embed.
How do I post videos?
If it’s on Vimeo, Youtube, or some similar site you can just paste its embed code or video link into the post form.
You can also upload your own MOV or MP4 files—up to 100MB per day.
What should I do if I’m having trouble uploading an image?
Try the following:
- Make sure the file is no larger than 10MB and is in one of the following formats: JPG, JPEG, or PNG.
- If you’re posting an animated GIF, make sure it is no larger than 1.75MB and no more than 500 pixels wide.
- Save a brand new version of the file using the photo/image application of your choice. This can sometimes help remove any encoding snags that may have been in the original file.
- We don’t support CMYK files or other non-RGB image files, so save the image in RGB and try uploading again.
Can I post to my blog via email?
Heck, why not. Post through any email client you want. Just send an email to your mobile publishing address with the content you’d like to publish.
How do I find my email address for email publishing?
- Click Settings (the gear icon) at the top of your Dashboard.
- Click the blog you’d like to publish to on the right side of the page.
- You’ll find your private email address in the Post by Email section. (You can always reset this if you’re having issues publishing.)
Can I use Markdown to create rich text formatting when posting by email?
Such a strangely specific question. Yes, you can use Markdown, just be sure to include !m in any part of the email’s subject or body to enable Markdown. The !m code will automatically be removed from the final version.
How do I send a Text post?
- Put the text in the body of the email.
- Put a title in the subject line (optional).
How do I send a Photo or Photoset?
- Attach photos to the email.
- Write a caption in the subject line or body.
How do I send a Link post?
- Write the title of the link in the subject line.
- Paste the link in the body of the email.
How do I send a Quote post?
- Type the quote in the body of the email.
- Be sure to include who you’re quoting (duh).
How do I send a Chat post?
- Type the dialogue in the body of the email.
- Include the title of the post in the subject line (optional).
How do I tag posts via email?
Just stick the tags at the end of the email. Be sure to start each with a hash (e.g., #laundry #hamper #wicker #dope).
What if I’m having trouble with email publishing?
A few tips:
- Send posts directly to your mobile publishing email address. You cannot email another email address and then forward the email from there.
- Make sure to put the mobile publishing email address in the “To:” field; it cannot go in the “cc:” or “bcc:” field.
- Check for typos in the mobile posting email address.
- If all else fails, try resetting your mobile publishing email address on the Settings page.
What’s the bookmarklet?
It’s a neat little thing that lets you quickly post stuff to Tumblr while browsing other sites. Grab it here. You can make the same types of posts as with the regular post form, except that you can’t post audio and you have to use commas to separate each tag (under the Advanced tab).