Using Google Analytics
What can I use Google Analytics for?
It’s great for finding out...
- how many users are visiting your blog
- how often users are visiting your blog
- which of your posts are most popular
- which search terms visitors found you through
- where your visitors are coming from
How do I add Google Analytics to my blog’s theme?
Some blog themes allow you to paste a Google Analytics ID in the Appearance section of the “Customize theme” page. If your theme doesn’t support that, follow the instructions below.
- Visit Google Analytics and log in with your Google account. If you don’t have a Google account, it’s easy to create one.
- Click "Sign up" if you're a new user. Otherwise, click "Admin" on the upper right, then click "+ New Account" under the Accounts tab.
- In the "Account Name" field, enter "Tumblr" or your Tumblr URL (e.g. "myblog.tumblr.com").
- Choose "http://" in the dropdown menu and type the URL or custom domain of your blog.
- Set your country and time zone.
- Set your data sharing preferences.
- Select the country or territory for the User Agreement.
- Read the Terms of Service, then check the box that says "Yes, I agree to the above terms and conditions."
- Click "Create Account."
- Copy the tracking code on the next page.
- Click "Save" in Google Analytics.
- Open your Dashboard in a new window.
- Click Settings (the gear icon) at the top of your Dashboard.
- Click the blog you’d like to update on the left side of the page.
- Click “Customize” in the Theme section.
- Paste the Google Analytics code into the "Description" field OR click “Edit HTML” and paste the code before "</head>."
- Click "Save."
Why does my status read “Tracking code not verified”?
This means Google’s system has not processed your data yet.
How do I view my blog’s traffic metrics?
- Log in to Google Analytics.
- Under Account Home, choose your blog.